Requirements for graduate internship opportunities involve a number of steps that if carefully completed can result in an applicant positioning themselves as a strong candidate for possible internship placement within their chosen field of study. Although the process varies dependent upon the graduate internship being applied for, several factors may require fulfillment as part of the application process including:
- A short autobiography may be required.
- A short written essay that clearly indicates the goals, expectations and objectives the applicant expects to achieve during their internship.
- An academic paper may be expected which in some instances cannot be one that has been written previously at another level of academic pursuit but that is related to the internship being pursued.
- A current Resume with a well-written cover letter, outlining any skills, experience, or educational factors that relate directly to the Internship being applied for and effectively introduces the applicant.
- References with Letters of Recommendation related to academic achievements, any previous employment related history and personal characterizations that may further strengthen and benefit the applicant’s chances. In some instances, these Reference letters are included with the application at time of submission while others may involve speaking directly with the applicants references by phone.
It is important to ensure that application requirements are fully understood before submission. Usually there is qualified staff available through the office of application acceptance that will be able to answer any questions or concerns an applicant may have prior to submission. Applicants can be disqualified for submitting incomplete applications or submitting after the deadline has passed. Applicants should always ensure they include complete documentation with their submitting application well before the deadline is reached. The submission of a graduate internship application does not automatically mean that an individual will be successfully placed within the program of their choice. Applicants are usually notified within 2-8 weeks after receipt of their application of their status therefore it is not advisable to contact the application reviewing office unless more than sufficient time has passed without notification. Once an applicant is notified of success, it is always important to respond with a well-written letter of Acceptance or Rejection of the offer.
A successful internship can open many doors for the Graduate who takes the time to become familiar with the application process and once placed, take advantage of the many benefits to be gained.